Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Guest Blog - My CVSP Experience, By Lauren DelRicci


After spending two and a half days with the speakers and attendees of Operation College Promise’s CVSP program on Stockton College campus, I had a few different feelings. Most importantly, I came out of the certificate program feeling wiser, armed with a wealth of knowledge on current VA benefits, different education programs, and the latest and greatest on everyone’s favorite -- Post 9/11 GI Bill.

I was also excited to share the resources with colleagues and students. I think that is the most valuable asset the CVSP program avails… the ability to bring the information back to the college or respective institution.

Finally, I had a distinct feeling of inspiration. I was inspired to continue being involved with the mobilization of veteran’s education outreach. I felt compelled to make a promise with myself to never quit efforts to reach the veteran or service-member, hopefully inspiring them in return to never quit their mission of achieving a degree in higher education.

As a part of the OCP advisory board, I will admit that among the feelings of wisdom, elation and inspiration was exhaustion! However, the time spent working on the project was worth it and at the end of the day when we watched our NBC broadcast at the Absecon VFW, there wasn’t a dry eye in the house!

Lauren DelRicci is a member of the OCP Advisory Board and the Certifying Official at Burlington County College. She is a graduate of Rowan University and a Navy veteran.

No comments: